DRE Technologies

From global to local: building energy-smart local food systems post-COVID era

Achieving food security, economic development and poverty reduction remain elusive goals without sustainable energy access. As we mark World Food Day and the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, FAO, Khethworks, Krishi Star, IFPRI and others weigh in on the opportunities for building climate-smart local food systems that grow rural economies and reduce food insecurity.

Energy Policy

Is the G20 serious this time about energy access and SDG7?

New data shows that only 1 of 54 countries in Africa is on track to achieve SDG7. What does the G20 need to do to change that?

Economics

Donors: where’s your money promised for minigrids?

Donors have deployed just 13% of the US$ 1.6 billion in funds committed to the minigrid sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, and most of that went to technical assistance consultants, not building projects. Where is the other 87%?, asks the African Minigrid Developers Association (AMDA).

DRE Technologies
From global to local: building energy-smart local food systems post-COVID era

Achieving food security, economic development and poverty reduction remain elusive goals without sustainable energy access. As we mark World Food Day and the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, FAO, Khethworks, Krishi Star, IFPRI and others weigh in on the opportunities for building climate-smart local food systems that grow rural economies and reduce food insecurity.

Fact Sheet: COVID impact at a glance

Our Platform for Energy Access Knowledge (PEAK) compiled a two-page overview of the socio-economic impact of COVID on the energy access sector, and highlights how some countries are responding by leveraging recent advances in decentralized renewables.

More DRE Technologies »
Africa
Amps for animals: greening Africa’s livestock sector

The use of energy-saving technologies in Africa’s agricultural sector shows a great deal of promise and has the potential to change the way livestock is raised and managed for the better.

COVID-19: African health officials issue “SOS” for solar power

African healthcare officials describe the urgent need for much greater support for electrifying rural healthcare facilities, calling the situation an emergency because of COVID-19.

Share This Page

Economics
Off-grid sector success post-pandemic hinges on shift to new financing models

Off track and under-funded, the goal of universal energy access will only happen if there is much tighter collaboration between funders to unify a highly fragmented finance landscape, while also maintaining a laser focus on results. SEforALL explains why multi-donor RBF is essential for success.

Donors: where’s your money promised for minigrids?

Donors have deployed just 13% of the US$ 1.6 billion in funds committed to the minigrid sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, and most of that went to technical assistance consultants, not building projects. Where is the other 87%?, asks the African Minigrid Developers Association (AMDA).

Energy Policy
Powering Health across Africa through COVID-19 and a Changing Climate

Daily power shortages at health clinics and hospitals in sub-Saharan Africa are a counteracting force towards universal health coverage. Decentralized renewable energy solutions are more reliable and much quicker to deploy presenting a huge opportunity for electrification of health facilities across developing rural communities.

Repurposing the COVID-19 Response for SDG 7

Power for All was launched 5 years ago today on May 21, 2015. It's a time to celebrate, but also a time to reflect. We face great disruption in the world, compounded by an unprecedented health crisis. Our CEO Kristina Skierka writes about Power for All's incredible journey, our successes and struggles, and explores the road ahead for the decentralized renewable energy sector.