Putting Off-Grid in the Spotlight
Power for All joined the Efficiency for Access workshop in New York, and the Sustainable Energy for All quarterly meetings in Abidjan.
Aaron Leopold, Deputy Director for Global Advocacy, also spoke on two panel sessions at the Africa Energy Indaba in Johannesburg on:
- Renewable Energy Technologies, Solar, Wind
- The Global Tracking Framework
More details from the Global Tracking Framework panel can be found in the World Bank article: Africa Far from Sustainable Energy for All, But Showing Signs of Progress
Following meetings with energy access practitioners, government departments, and civil society organizations, Power for All has been working with ministerial officials to launch Sierra Leone’s upcoming Energy Revolution event (8–15 March). We are proud to be a part of this important occasion:
- All 149 Paramount Chiefs will be attending
- The Government of Sierra Leone will set an ambitious goal for off-grid electrification, and take immediate steps to introduce a blanket VAT/tariff exemption for quality products
- There will be a marketplace for companies wishing to showcase their products and services to key decision-makers
- To promote distributed renewables, a number of partnerships between the private sector and Paramount Chiefs will be announced
- The event will prove be an important opportunity to bring stakeholders together to better understand the barriers facing household solar and mini-grids, and discuss how these might be removed
The team has also been building partnerships to support the acceleration of decentralized renewables in Nigeria and Zimbabwe, and helped Rwanda’s Energy Private Developer’s (EPD) group jump-start critical feedback on the country's draft Rural Electrification Strategy.
Power for All were joined by colleagues from the Global Off-Grid Lighting Association (GOGLA) on a scoping visit to India and are supporting GOGLA and the Alliance for Rural Electrification in a National Renewable Energy Association workshop in Nairobi this week.
Join the Campaign
A key Power for All goal is to profile and support the great work going on across the sector. Please get in touch to share your stories, connect on in-country work or to join the campaign.